Today: 04/02/2023 00:53:07 (GMT+7)
THE SPECIALIZED PAGE OF BAC GIANG NEWSPAPER ONLINE

Hospitals raise alarm against e-cigarettes following synthetic drug poisoning

A Hanoi hospital has received at least two cases of boys being poisoned after mistakenly drinking the substance containing synthetic drugs in e-cigarettes.

Vietnam National Children's Hospital has recently saved a boy who was hospitalized after he mistakenly drank the yellow substance of an e-cigarette.

Hospitals, raise alarm, e-cigarettes, synthetic drug poisoning, nicotine poisoning, long-term complications, heated tobacco products

A sample of e-cigarette laced with drugs is tested at Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi.

Doctors initially assumed he had been poisoned by nicotine, the main element in e-cigarettes. However, they later discovered that the boy's symptoms of seizure, dilated pupils, and slow pulse were different from what one normally suffers from nicotine poisoning.

After conducting a blood test, the doctors concluded that the boy had consumed a type of synthetic drug called ADB-BUTINACA, according to Dr. Tran Dang Xoay, head of the hospital's Department of Internal Medicine.

The boy suffered severe neurological damage to the point of coma and respiratory failure.

After two days of intensive treatment, he regained consciousness and continued to be monitored for long-term complications, said Xoay.

The doctor said this is the second case in recent weeks that the hospital has treated a child who had been poisoned after accidentally drinking the synthetic drugs in an e-cigarette.

According to the Poison Control Center at Hanoi's Bach Mai Hospital, cases of patients getting poisoned by synthetic drugs in e-cigarettes is happening quite frequently.

In July, a 20-year-old girl was rushed to the hospital in a deep coma, suffering heart failure and brain and liver damage after vaping.

The Ministry of Health in November proposed a ban on e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products.

At least 32 countries and territories have prohibited vaping, including five in Southeast Asia, Thailand, Singapore, Laos, Brunei and Cambodia.

14 hospitalized after funeral drinking session, 3 in critical condition
Three people are in critical condition after 14 people were hospitalized in the Mekong Delta’s Kien Giang Province with convulsions after drinking alcohol at a funeral.
 
HCMC hospital meets int'l standard in treating heart failure
Gia Dinh People's Hospital has become the first in Ho Chi Minh City to be recognized by the American Heart Association (AHA).
 
Hanoi hospitals cope with multiple disease outbreaks among children
Doctors in Hanoi hospitals are overwhelmed by the number of child patients coming with respiratory diseases as the season changes.
 
Suspected methanol poisoning sees 2 students die, six hospitalized
Two college students in Ho Chi Minh City died while six others remain in critical condition after drinking alcohol of unknown origin at a street stall, with methanol poisoning the main suspect.
 
108 Military Central Hospital receives Asia Pacific Hand Hygiene Excellence Award and Innovation Award
108 Military Central Hospital is among the five hospitals to receive the Asia Pacific Hand Hygiene Excellence Award and Innovation Award 2022.
 

Source: VnExpress

Hospitals, raise alarm, e-cigarettes, synthetic drug poisoning, nicotine poisoning, long-term complications, heated tobacco products
 
New comment has just been added. Click here
Sort:NewBest News